Get A Closer Look With Video Scanning & Professional Chimney Inspections
Have you ever tried to see inside of your chimney? If so, you know it’s impossible for the human eye to truly get a good look at the chimney flue. With a large portion of the chimney system inaccessible, how can you really know whether or not your chimney is in good working order?
Well, the answer is: you can’t. Not without video scanning and professional chimney inspections. That’s why the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) and the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) encourage homeowners to have their chimney inspected each and every year, without fail.
Have you had your chimney inspected this year? Black Velvet Chimney can help.
For more than 30 years, we’ve been providing quality, thorough chimney inspections and video scans that meet with NFPA 211 standards. Using video scanning technology, we’re able to pick up cracks and damage that the human eye simply can’t see in a dark chimney. In other words, we catch what the eye misses — and with the many dangers and problems that can arise from damaged chimneys, it’s important that no damage goes unnoticed. So, what are some things that we can detect with a video scan/chimney inspection?
- Cracks or gaps in the flue liner or smoke chamber.
- Creosote buildup along the walls of the flue liner or smoke chamber.
- Blockages (like bird nests, twigs, leaves, and other debris).
The NFPA 211 Levels Of Chimney Inspections
The NFPA 211 standard breaks inspections down into 3 levels:
- Level 1 is for chimney systems that are being used in the same manner as they’ve always been used and that haven’t undergone any changes in appliance, fuel type, chimney liner, or performance. During a level 1 inspection, all easily accessible portions of the system will be evaluated.
- Level 2 is for chimney systems that have experienced a chimney fire or a severe weather event that could have caused damage, or that have had a new appliance or new flue liner installed. These inspections are also recommended when purchasing a home and when performance issues or related changes have occurred. During a level 2 inspection, all easily accessible portions of the system will be evaluated, but a video scan of the entire flue will also be performed.
- Level 3 is for chimney systems that have serious issues that can’t be resolved or pinpointed with a level 1 or 2 inspection. This level may require removal of walls or other types of “demo” work, which is why they’re really only performed when there’s absolutely no other option.
At the end of an inspection, you’ll receive a full report on our findings, including photographs of our findings and our recommendations for cleanings or repairs. These reports are great for your own peace of mind, but they can also be used for real estate transactions and insurance claims. Ready to have your Dallas/Fort Worth chimney inspected by a reliable and certified chimney professional? Call 817-473-4466 or request more information. We’re here to help when you need fair, honest, and timely service in DFW!
Our chimney and fireplace services include all kinds of chimney repairs, including work on brick chimneys, wood chases, leaky chimneys, relining issues and more.