Some dangers are easier to see while others are hidden, especially concerning your chimney. Since there are so many parts to your chimney, it is important to make sure each part of it is efficient and safe. Dangers you can’t see on the interior of your chimney does not make them less dangerous. In fact, sometimes those things that you can’t see are more dangerous, because you can’t see them to address them in appropriate time. One of these things is creosote buildup, as this happens to the interior of your chimney flue.

What is Creosote?

dancing flamesThere’s nothing like a snapping, crackling fire during those cold fall and winter evenings. However, burning a wood fire is not as complicated as it seems. Trees are full of capillaries, which carry water to the extremities of the tree. When you chop down a tree to use for firewood, that water doesn’t just drain out, it stays in the wood for months. The moisture level does decrease over time, but if not properly dried or cured, it can cause problems to your fireplace as it burns.

Uncured wood not only burn more smoke, but they also cause more creosote buildup in your chimney system. When you burn uncured wood, your smoke have more moisture along with other chemicals that are released during combustion. When the smoke warms, that wet smoke hits the interior of the chimney, where the surface is cooler, then it condenses to form creosote.

Dangers of a Chimney Fire

The number one problem with creosote buildup is that it is extremely flammable. In fact, the Chimney Safety Institute of America (CSIA) states that even as little as an eighth of an inch is enough to catch a spark and start a chimney fire. When this happens, most people think it would be a catastrophic event that causes devastating destruction to your home, but this isn’t the case. In fact, most chimney fires don’t have enough oxygen to turn that fire into a roaring fire. That’s a problem because it can cause unseen damage that you aren’t aware of. If that damage is not addressed, it can cause bigger and more costly problems to your family and home.

Another problem caused by creosote buildup is odor problem. This is especially evident during the summer months, when it’s hot and humid. The nasty odor can permeate a room, get into the carpets, drapes, and furniture too.

Call in the Pros

Because creosote buildup is so dangerous, it’s important to call our professionals right away. When you call Black Velvet Chimney, we can assure you that we will clear out all creosote. We pride ourselves in doing excellent work. Give us a call today, and we’ll take care of your creosote problem and other chimney issues.